Unlike learning English / Chinese where you can find abundant materials: books, websites, youtube, free online courses, mobile apps, flash card apps; self-learning Burmese resources are still few. There is a great challenge on the "font" (encoding) too. When you google "世 上 只 有 妈妈好", you can find plenty of good results. When you try to google မိုက်တယ်ကွ, before anything, you need to check is that unicode or zawgyi?
Learning a LanguageFor me, language is a bridge for people to understand each other. Smile and body language are not enough, we need words.
- Self-study from books, recording and online website,
- Online learning,
- Tutor (costly): 1 on 1 or a group of students,
- Language class: good chance to be in a class where you can learn from others experiences, and opportunity to practice,
- Language exchange partner,
- Youtube, and Facebook! (can find short Burmese paragraphs and videos on Myanmar companies Facebook pages)
It is believed that adult cannot learn a language as good as a child; but who cares? William Shakespeare said: “If there is a good will, there is great way.”
When I study, I like to breakdown things and organize it nicely:
- Understanding basic & Alphabets
- Memorize the word (vocabulary): the character itself and 'pinyin' (romanization). Moreover, a spoken language might be a bit different from written.
- Listening - Speaking
- Mimic the sound (pronunciation)
- Mimic the tone
Please find Learn Burmese resource list on BAMA Learn Burmese website.KR,